Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Read Mumbai's Diary

I've lived in this magical city for the past 3 years.I must say,when I moved in,I was weary cus I was leaving my old friends behind.But Mumbai made me feel different.I changed,and I became somebody else,somebody better. Naturally,when I first heard of Dhobhi Ghat,a.k.a Mumbai Diaries,I was thrilled.I did go see the movie,and it stays true to it's name.It certainly is a small excerpt off this beloved city's diary.You'll find a little of you somewhere in this film,take my word on that.But it's not just the fact that Mumbai's brought to life here.It is the simple fact that the characters are so fleshed out,so real,you can see yourself doing the actions that they do.You see a little part of their every day lives.You see that no matter how many people there are,this big city watches everything,but stays silent and expressionless like the old neighbour of Aamir Khan's character.Yes,this city does see us all,it sees the little tid-bits that give us joy,it sees those chance meetings whose significance goes unacknowledged all the time.You may brush into somebody today,but you just move on.Maybe someday,that somebody may become a major part of your life,but you'll still never remember that one chance meeting for a brief second.Mumbai sees that,Mumbai remembers this coincidence,but remains ashen faced.If you or I see a coincidence,we always show some emotion,like a slight smile,or disgust,or surprise,or even slight sorrow.But impossibly,Mumbai watches the tides crash every single day.It sees the troubles of the poor,the extravagance of the rich,lives being lived in so many different ways.Maybe Mumbai knows the truth,but still it remains silent.you'd wonder what's so good about such an impersonal city.Well,truth is,I can't tell you.No one can.You have to live here and see the little parts of every normal day,and you'll realise that there's a soul here,there's a slight connection between people.Yes,most people just ignore your plight and walk away,but there's this warmth.Of course,this city has its own share of shadiness,but is there a Utopia?I have to,absolutely have to thank Kiran Rao for opening this small page of Mumbai's diary.I love Mumbai,I always will.And I love Dhobi Ghat :)

P.S:I call this city Mumbai,not Bombay,unlike most of my friends.They think it's an embarrassment to call this city by it's new name.Well,it doesn't matter,I'm comfortable with Mumbai :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work by Achyuth Sankar is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.